Fort Monostor /Fort Sandberg/

      Its origin is closely connected with the defence of Újszőny [the present South Komárom] against the attacks from the west. The fortress was planned to be built opposite the western corner of Elizabeth Island, on a sand hill on the south bank of the river Danube.  The area needed to build the fortress – which was in the possession of count Zichy – was taken by the Treasury in 1817.
      In June 1849 at the command of György Klapka, then commander of the army and the fortress, the sand hill at Monostor was strengthened. One thousand two hundred bricklayers and 10.000 subworkers worked  on the site. The enormous Fort Monostor was built only after the fight for freedom (between 1851 and 1871) according to the original plans.






Copyright ® 1998-2007 Mesto KOMÁRNO | WEB Design gART